Monday, November 24, 2008

Playing it safe, or living in fear???

Okay, so my mom has been going on and on about all of these horror stories about blogs and psycho creeps that use the blogs for evil. Since then I have been having an inner-self battle about whether or not to go private. Here is how my battle plays out.

Pros:
It is private therefore I have control over who is learning many details about my children and their day-to-day activities.

I don't have to worry about all of those psycho creeps out there who spend their lives fighting for the wrong team (the adversary's team) and may do something to wrong my innocent children.
Cons:

I really don't want to live my life in fear.

I don't mind people, even if I don't know them, reading about our day-to-day activities, (as long as they are not the aforementioned psycho creeps).

I want to continue to believe that the world is more good than evil.
Conclusion:
I really don't ever want to do anything that puts my children's lives or well being in danger, especially if doing so can be avoided. But for some strange reason I am still torn. Please, leave your input!!!

PS Any of you who are going private or have already done so, I would love to be added, my email address is kaydeem@yahoo.com


Here are some cute pictures of my kiddos. They have nothing with this post, but they are quite pleasant none-the-less :).
Tanner and his Luke-Made Pirate outfit, apparently Mommy's Headband + Super Tanner Cape= Pretty Awesome Pirate
Luke's Pirate costume always consists of his favorite red hat and dracula cape!
I love Her!
Cutest little fan at the Juab Football Game!
McCain and Obama

9 comments:

lmackay32 said...

I have the same feelings as you do. I must have missed the big news story on what people are doing with the info they are reading on other people's blogs.

Amanda said...

add us to your list. We are going private too in December. acranderson02@yahoo.com

Lyns said...

Okay - so I have been struggling with this for a while now. I think I've made up my mind and then somebody else goes private because of the danger. I'm going to be completely honest. I have, for now, decided to not go private. First of all, I like it that random friends and relatives can find my blog and I can keep up with them through blogging. Second of all, I find that it would be just as likely that somebody would follow me home from the store and murder me as it would be for someone to find out everything they can about me from my blog, and come and murder me. Thirdly, if I go private, I have plenty of family members that wouldn't read my blog because they don't have accounts and most likely wouldn't get one. i.e. my in-laws and parents. Fourthly (is that a word?) so what if somebody steals my kids picture? It's JUST a picture! Fifthly (ha ha), I LOVE Google Reader and it doesn't work on privat blogs. Now with all of that said, I still have the same nagging issues that you have about the blog. Personally, for right now, I feel that if I am smart (as in not putting addresses, phone numbers, etc. etc. and other information on my blog), then we should be okay. Maybe I'll change my mind tomorrow. :) One more thing - anybody else who responds, can you give me some concrete crazy things that have happened to bloggers? Seriously, I've heard of all of the danger, but I don't really get what has happened. Thanks! (That was a novel) :)

Lyns said...

Also wanted to add that your kids are still gorgeous. Seriously, could Brielle be any cuter?

Annie Nielson said...

I'm torn, too. I hate it when I find a blog I want to look at and it's private. Damn weirdo's ruin it for us normal folk. It really irritates me. As for now, I'm going to keep mine open. I may change my mind eventually though.

Natasha said...

I am with Lyns...I think the chances of some psycho freak hurting your family are the same blog or no blog. I am astounded at the response to KSL's story - it seems like EVERYONE is going private now. I wonder what would happen if everyone responded so promptly when the prophet asked us to do something (haha). No need to go private.

Cravings said...

I am also torn on the whole private blogging because I have to have my email, home address, and phone number for my buisness on my blog...yes SCARY. Not sure what to do but I have thought about it a lot and realized tons of people run their buisness from home so what are we supposed to do...I guess I could just deliver the cupcakes to Maceys ha ha. Just kidding, and Kaydee I haven't heard from you. I left you a comment a while ago but it was one of the million comments left in your post so you probably didn't even see it. I have a family blog now...nuttshouse@blogspot.com Interesting subject though and your kids are ADORABLE!!!

McKel said...

I don't know either, but I read lyns' and I can't of think like her, but I could change my mind tomm. Let us know what you decided.

Tyler & Cassie said...

Hey Kaydee!! Its Cassie (Winn) Boggess. I have just recently went private and was feeling the same way that you do before I went private. The main reason I decided to go private was because some weirdo posted a comment on Corrie, my little sisters blog. All he said was that Addie, her little girl is really cute. It just kind of scares us because we have no idea who he is. The blogs he had were pretty weird and it made us a little uncomfortable. It really sucks because I have enjoyed finding old friends and I hate that it is not as easy for them to find me anymore.
Anyway, those are my thoughts about it. I felt the same way Lyns did but after that the "What IF..." kept going through my head. Good luck making the decision. Its a tough one. I will add you to my list and if you decide to go private I would love it if you added me cassie_boggess@yahoo.com
Thanks